Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When Did "You're Welcome" Become "Uh Huh"

When was the last time you said "thank you" to someone for a common courtesy. And when was the last time you said "thank you" and the person you are thanking actually responded with "you're welcome"; most times you get "uh huh". You probably even say "uh huh" yourself. Is it passe to be courteous and exhibit manners? Then I started to think, maybe folks don't know the appropriate responses. The response to thank you is you're welcome. The response to excuse me is certainly. But you know, it is not just the expressions it is the actions. Have you ever held the door for someone being courteous and they don't even acknowledge you, let alone thank you. Pisses me off but doesn't stop me from holding the next door. How about when you are standing in the food store aisle and instead of the person you are blocking saying "excuse me" so they can pass, they try mental telepathy... "if i stare at her back long enough maybe she will move". Courteous actions take so little effort and have such huge returns. Courtesies when extended and acknowledged become contagious. Here is a basic rule, if you invade someone's personal space - to squeeze by, reach for something, or accidentally bump them with that huge satchell you call a purse - say excuse me. It is just a common courtesy.

The other day a woman in the 7 eleven reaching across my husband knocked a hot cup of coffee over which spilled on him burning his hand and foot. She did not say excuse me, sorry, or jack. She just kept on fixing her coffee. He, better than I, just walked away.

How about the person you are standing behind in the elevator with the tag hanging out their neckline. Do you just stare at it or, do you say say "excuse me I am going to fix this for you". Believe me when you are walking around thinking you really look good you don't want the tag hanging out your shirt. I appreciate the person that fixes the tag, or tells me my zipper is partially down.

Then there is the good ole skirt in the pantyhose... yes I have started out of the ladies room "tucked in" but remembered to make the last sweep before opening the door and yes, I was tucked. Think the two ladies standing at the sink brought it to my attention, guess the story would have been funnier when they told it if I actually walked into the hallway.

One day I was in one of those large discount shoe stores and I noticed this guy walking behind me. Was this a stalker? Finally he said turn around and look in the mirror and when I did there down the back of my leg - size 10, size 10, size 10... How embarassing but yes better size 10 than 12. But, it would have been more embarassing to walk around ALL DAY like that.

Of course there is the food in the teeth, booger hanging out the nose or in the mustache, and the lipstick on the teeth. If Barack can tell Michelle she has lipstick on her teeth on national tv, you can tell your co-worker. Just let a sister or brother know. Believe me the one moment of embarrassment is far better than looking in the mirror after a presentation and seeing the piece of lettuce. Then it is like "was that there the whole time?"

My all time favorite, a partial courtesy - "Have a good one"... A good what? A good day, a good moment, a good ride on the elevator??? Why can't you say "Have a good day", what is the big deal. And, when someone says have a good day or good morning what is with the grunt. Yes, a grunt. Good morning is met with another uh huh or um hum, what is that? Just say good morning back it will make you feel better. And finally, what is with those folks walking down the hall that put their heads down or look at the wall to avoid eye contact. I still speak, loudly. Why is it a chore to be pleasant.

So, I challenge you to a day of common courtesies. Say you're welcome in response to thank you. Say please when asking for something. Say "have a good day" and "good morning" to everyone. Smile at people, hold a door or let a another driver get in front of you and, when someone let's you go wave and say thanks.

I say thank you to the cabbie that stops to pick me up. I say thank you to the waiter or waitress that takes my plate or fills my water glass. I say thank you to the cashier when they give me my change. I say thank you, please, you're welcome and good morning. It makes me feel better and I believe folks genuinely appreciate it.

Try your day of common courtesy and let me know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am definately your child! I was just having this same conversation last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two for one comment: You did an awesome job as a mom because I always say thank you! Thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete