Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Shrines

The other day while stopped at the light at 52nd and Lancaster I looked out the window and my eye caught a pile of dirty stuffed toys, some were tied to a post others strewn on the ground. There were candles and a tee-shirt. This came into my head.

Shrines
They stood and marveled at the memorial.
The flowers, and candles and teddy bears that stretched for quite a ways.
This is what we do when a member of our community dies.
We create shrines.

But the young child in the back of the group
spoke more to himself than anyone else.

Don't remember me like this, he said.
If I should be so unfortunate to wind up dead,
This is not be the memory I want.
Do not write on your cars RIP with me.
Do not make up those sad T-shirts reflecting back my face
when I no longer hold physically a place.

If I should be so unlucky to die
from a stray bullet or
one aimed with a perfect eye
Don't Let It Be In Vain

Use it as a reason to make our neighborhood sane.
Educate so the next one does not die
Eradicate so we don't stand around
head in hand wailing Why Why Why

Don't light a candle or tie a stuffed toy to a tree.
Don't hold a vigil for false leaders to rant, and talk about me.
Hold feet to the fire
and put this craziness to an end.

Should I have the misfortune of winding up dead,
honor my memory by taking action on what I said.

1 comment:

  1. deep. I know people mean well when they create a "memorial" when someone is murdered and during a candlelight vigil or whatever it may be touching per say. The only thing that bothers me is how they sit on the pole for months and are weathered by all types of elements and instead of looking bright and honorable it looks...dead; the teddy bears hang and are blackish-gray with dirt and God knows what else. And in the end, is this how you honor the life of someone you love and miss. I feel you...

    ReplyDelete