Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Simply the Best

Step back Beyonce, sit down Brittany and Madonna, take note. If you ladies haven't already done so you, along with all these up and comers and those that think they have arrived should make homage to the Queen. And no, I am not talking about the overdone, self indulging divas Aretha, Diana or Patti. I am talking about the Queen of Rock and Roll, Tina Turner.

At 53 I want to be Tina at 69. I want to have great legs, dance in stilettos and absolutely freakin' rock. Of course it would help if I had talent, but that aside, I like her attitude and her drive. When this sister gets on stage she performs non stop. And yeah she has some techno stuff going on but it's transitional, you know like the Golden Eye entrance, it doesn't dominate her show. Bottom line, it is her bangin' band, her three dancer/back up singers and Tina; they rock and they have a good time doing it. They are not over choreographed, they are not backed up by an army of dancers, there is no political agenda, or religious controversy, there is nothing that makes you cover your kids eyes or makes you feel uncomfortable. It is a mean band and Tina. Her voice is as rich and as soulful today as it was in 1971 when she first cut Proud Mary. I remember watching her on TV back then, and even then she crushed the Motown model. She was no Diana Ross and the Supremes, trust me this was a good thing 'cause this sister was raw. She strutted, danced and was something to see. For me she was right there with Janis [Joplin] and Jimi [Hendrix].

Most people don't realize that for six years following her divorce from Ike, Tina struggled. She played small clubs and had a series of bombs. This is a woman who could have been broken. Broken by an abusive husband, a failing career, being broke. She was someone cleaning the homes of friends to repay them for a place to sleep and their kindness. During all this she didn't shave her head, wreck cars, drink, take drugs or steal some one's husband. She knew Change Was Gonna Come, so she dug deep, re-laid her foundation and built what has become an amazing career. This is the resolve that I admire. She remains flexible, willing to try new styles and step outside her box. She worked with change while managing to remain true to herself. This is why she blossomed and now, is Simply The Best. The young artist today need to take a page from her book, forget the page, they need to read the whole thing and take the lessons and apply them. There is so much to learn and understand. Things like class and savvy.

The other night I watched her Amsterdam tour. I was absolutely inspired and motivated by her energy and genuineness - she enjoys what she does and looks good doing it. I immediately added to my bucket list - "See Tina Turner Live - preferably in Europe." Preferably Europe because it is like a Foreign Affair; they seem to appreciate her more than any other audiences that I have seen.


So 69, done Tina's way, is the new hot! I Can't wait to get there.

2 comments:

  1. tina is my girl! Big wheels keep on turning...(
    family insider)...! C'mon Bent sing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iya went to see her on Thanksgiving and she is still talking about it!

    ReplyDelete