Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Never To Late To Say Thank You

I often wonder if my father and mother are looking down on me and my siblings and, if so are they proud of what they see. We were all so different - young and inexperienced when they both passed away. Mommy in December 1977 and daddy in April 1980. I remember thinking when they died what the hell am I going to do. If I was troubled I called my parents. If I was happy, confused, bored or just wanted to shoot the breeze - I called my parents. If I needed something, anything - dollars, sympathy, empathy a baby sitter I called daddy first and then mommy. And while I believe I always said thank you I am not really sure. But, I can say it now.


Mommy and daddy thank you for raising me right; for being the "mean" mom and dad which was really just being strict. Thank you for caring enough to make the hard decisions and sometimes taking the weight off of me. Thank you for standing by me when I did stupid things like dropping out of college, getting pregnant and marrying someone you absolutely could not stand. Thank you for not trying to be my best friend but instead a good parent and thank you for telling me to always stand up straight and walk with my head held up; to stand up for myself and for others not quite as strong.


I have tried to apply everything I learned from you as I raised my own children. So, I thank you as your child and, I thank you as a parent.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment