Monday, December 22, 2008

The Towel Story

Why do I have so many towels? At one point I counted almost 40 towels all clean at once and stashed in my hall chest, guest room drawers and bathrooms. This was before they became easy pickin's by my husband for car towels and for my daughter to stock her closet the first and second time she moved. It also does not take into account the towels that went to the pool and never returned. I always have about 20 on hand. I continue to buy towels. I always have to have towels. Some are plush, some are kind of thin most are brown, beige, tan or green. Why? well those colors work in both bathrooms, but I digress. Sometimes obsessions in your life are brought about by one single event. Maybe yours is tuna fish that you keep under the bed or hair brushes,hmmm. This is how I developed mine with towels.

Many years ago when it was just me and my oldest daughter who is now in her mid 30's (two reasons to give her age, one it really was a really long time ago and 2 it freaks my daughter out to see it written that she is in her mid 30's...) anyway, a friend of mine from work talked me into having a "surprise" demonstration. The plan was that I invite the folks and she would bring the party- the food, demonstrator, etc., seemed easy enough and I got a meal out of the deal. I figured it was crystal or Tupperware, both were big at the time. Turns out it was a Mary Kay make up demonstration. Well girlfriend may have brought the party but she didn't bring the linens. I literally owned 4 towels and 4 washcloths and all were used or in use. I did not have a washer and dryer. It was between pays, I was living paycheck to paycheck and at this point in the week about 2 days before payday the napkins and paper towels were gone.

So, as the demonstrator gave these great facials and folks were washing their faces, I nicely handed them Scott toilet paper to dry off. I can't think of a time when I was more embarrassed...oh yeah, I can it has to do with gym class, jump rope and my menses...another story another day. So anyway, I was mortified but at least I had toilet paper and I swore that day on that Scott single ply roll of toilet paper that this would never happen to me again. So with my next check following that demonstration I started buying towels. Now I buy towels and wash cloths often. And there are always clean ones somewhere in my house even if they are still in the dryer or on the table waiting to be folded. If you ever just show up if I can't give you a meal I can certainly offer a clean towel.

Crazy I know but, that is why I have so many towels.

3 comments: